Not to be confused with ‘Should I Try Cooking Steak In The Oven?’ we aren’t going to jump into any philosophical questions here. This is purely instructional and consequently is going to be a very short article. So buckle up princess, I’m bout to school you some learnin’.
So how the hell do I cook steak in an oven? Are you mad?
No I’m not mad. Even Gordon Ramsay cooks steak in an oven…well presumably, I don’t really know what he does in the privacy of his own home. I assume it’s a 50/50 split of cooking and swearing. Then again he has a few kids so private time with the missus must fit in there somewhere. Maybe after tea?
But I’ve gone and got myself distracted again. Enough about old mate Gordon Ramsay and back to the matter at hand. How exactly do you cook a steak in the oven?
- Season your steak. I like to drizzle on balsamic vinegar and add pepper but it’s really up to you. How to season a steak is an article for another day.
- Next heat a pan over a high heat. Add your chosen lubricant. I use butter but again we aren’t talking about that today.
- Add your steak and sear on each side. Approx. 2 mins on one and an additional min on the other.
- Shit we forgot to pre-heat the oven to 180◦C (356◦F). Quickly go back in time and move this step up a few places. Then again if you didnt know you had to pre-heat an oven for an article that has oven in the title what does that say about you?
- Place the oven in the steak (that was completely unintentional but I’ve had a long day and decided to leave for comical effect). 5 mins for Rare and 10 mins for over cooked. Use a sliding scale for your preference. I’m sure there is a fancy way to measure with a thermometer but ‘ain’t nobody got time for dat’.
- Let the steak rest for a few minutes and wallah. You just cooked a steak in the oven.
Looking back this title was a little misleading. It really should have read ‘How Do I Finish Steak In The Oven?’. Not as catchy though is it…